Requirements and Duedates for the Insect Project
- Each student will collect a specimen (or picture taken by the student) of at least 30 adult insects.
Insect collections are due at the beginning of the second full week of school.
- Students will work both independently and cooperatively to accurately identify each insect in their collection with the correct Scientific Order based on the physical appearance and distinguishing characteristics of the insect.
The Scientific Order of each insect in the collection is due at the end of the second full week of school.
- Students will tally the number of insects for each order in their collection, and record their tallies on both an individual collection log and a class spreadsheet. The record of tallies added to the class spreadsheet is due at the end of the second full week of school.
- Students will work together with the teacher to review the class spreadsheet looking for patterns in the numbers and types of the insects we have collected. A written description of the patterns in the data will be completed together in class and is due at the end of the third full week of school.
- Students will use their prior knowledge of ecology, insect life cycles and seasonal changes to attempt to explain the reasons for the patterns we observe. Students will make a scientific prediction for the patterns that reflect their explanations. A written description of our explanations and predictions will be formulated together in class and is due at the end of the third full week of school.
- There are four application tasks. Students may work alone or with a partner to form a question for research, perform and document their research, then add the topic of their research to a collaboratively produced class concept map (called a popplet) identifying the areas of research we have performed. Each students will then complete an online self evaluation which asks them to reflect on their knowledge of the research process. The Self Evaluation will be performed on Edline. These application tasks are due by the end of the fourth full week of school.